Top Five Most Common Reasons Why Basements Flood
Basements can be multiple things for different people – a place to hang out with friends, a “mancave,” a storage area, a workshop, and more. Whatever it is to you, chances are you have something down there you don’t want to get ruined. Basement flooding is an unfortunate event that happens to every homeowner at least once in their life that can cause those precious mementos and hang-out spaces to get damaged.
You probably know the basic reason why basements flood – because of heavy rain. But, what is it exactly that makes that excessive rainwater get into your basement?
Five Common Causes of Basement Flooding
- Debris in the gutter: If your gutters get full of debris, it can cause rainwater to overflow right beside your basement. When enough water piles up in the same spot, it can cause a leak and lead to a flood. You can easily prevent this from occurring by cleaning out your gutters. If, however, you clean them and they still overflow during heavy rain, it might be time to replace them with bigger ones.
- Your house was constructed on an unsuitable site: Houses are typically built on terrains that slope downward to allow for any accumulated water to drain away from the home. If yours was built on the lower part of your property, then you are probably no stranger to floods. In many cases, though, this level land that’s causing all of your headaches will slope over time and you won’t be faced with constant flooding anymore.
- Blocked gutter system: If the manifold connecting your house to the city’s sewer system gets blocked up, it could cause a flood in your home.
- Poor wall and floor sealing: Floods will occur if your basement tiles were not sealed properly when your home was built as water will easily seep right through them.
- Drainage system was improperly installed: For example, the downspouts to your home could have been installed to close to the basement wall and will end up overloading the weeping tile and cause floods in your basement.
No matter the cause of your flooded basement, Pompeii’s can help clear it! We will also determine the cause, and fix that as best we can so you can rest assured you won’t have any flooding problems in the future. Call us today!