Your water heater is one of the most important pieces of equipment in your house. You probably never see it and you rarely think of it, but that system provides you with the water to clean yourself, your dishes, your clothes, and just about everything else you need each day. So, when you need service, repair, or installation of a new water heater in Cleveland, OH area, call Pompeii’s – where expert plumbers can ensure it operates as it’s designed to.
Water heaters come in many different formats; which one you choose will depend on the size of your home, your energy needs, and the existing infrastructure of your plumbing. There are two general types of water heaters – tank based systems and tankless water heaters. The latter is more efficient because it only heats the water you need, but the former generally ensures you have hot water available at all times. Here are some additional features to consider in making your decision.
- How Much it Produces – Water heaters are measured by how much water they can produce in one hour or the FHR (first hour rating). This number tells you how much water can be produced from the moment you turn on the hot water to 60 minutes later. The more, the better.
- Heating Source – Gas or electric? Where you live will have a big impact on which of these is more affordable, but gas does not rely on electrical lines and is generally more earth friendly. It can cost a bit more, but the benefits are many.
- Water Consumption – How much water does your water heater use each day. Imagine how much water you use on Sunday when you do the dishes, everyone takes baths or showers and you wash the clothes. Make sure the water heater you choose can handle this load.
These factors are very important in helping you choose a heater, but for those still trying to decide between tank based and tankless water heaters in Cleveland, here are some additional details to consider:
Tank Water Heaters
Modern technology has made tank heaters far more efficient than they once were, though you will find that gas based heaters are the most efficient, even if they cost a bit more to start with. If you lose electricity, keep in mind that you will maintain a water source for at least a couple of hours and that you can use the water throughout the house simultaneously. Conversely, however, you can run out of water if the tank empties. Also, the tank will turn on periodically throughout the day even if you are not using it to keep the water up to temperature. Timer valves can help to reduce power consumption, but there will still be some loss.
Tankless Water Heaters
Heating the water in your home is a big job. It requires a lot of energy and a lot of space. In recent years, technology has advanced so that you can heat the water in your home without a big tank tacking on hundreds of dollars per year to your energy bill. The solution is tankless water heating and with tax credits, lower bills, and more consistent hot water distribution, this form of a hot water heater is becoming increasingly popular.
Pompeii’s Plumbing & Heating has been providing water heater service for many years, helping homeowners ensure the steady availability of hot water for every fixture in their home. Our trained Cleveland plumbers are skilled at installing and repairing all brands of tankless hot water heaters in Cleveland, OH area.
Benefits of Tankless Water Heaters
Tankless hot water heaters are growing increasingly popular for a number of reasons:
- The first is the most substantial – they cost less to operate. Because they only heat the water you are currently using, instead of a tank of water, they cut down on your energy bill extensively. It’s estimated that over the course of a tankless’ 20-year life, you can save up to $1700 in energy costs alone.
- Additionally, you can receive a Federal Tax Credit of up to $1,500 in the year you install your new tankless heater.
- Beyond saving money, tankless water heaters are much more efficient than traditional tank models. They use less energy when operating and can last two times longer than a traditional system.
- Without a tank that can crack and leak, a tankless water heater can save you the worry of coming home to a flooded basement, closet, or bathroom where the unit is held.
- The added benefit of having that extra space in your basement is a nice bonus as well.
Tankless Water Heater Installation
Installation of tankless hot water heaters requires replacement of your main hot water tank with a series of heating modules that will apply energy to the water only when the hot water faucet is turned on. In some cases, added ventilation and gas piping is also required, though for the most part, electrical access is sufficient to power a tankless water heater.
Beyond installation, water heater service and maintenance are vital. Scale build up can be a problem if you do not have your tankless heater serviced annually. This fits in nicely with other annual services, including those for your septic system and your water mains. Without that annual service, you run a high risk of calcium buildup in your system, which can cut off the flow of water and damage your pipes.
Choosing Your Tankless Hot Water Heater
Choosing a tankless water heater in Cleveland is a complex process that starts with understanding the basic needs of your home. If you are interested in having hot water for just one or two rooms at a time, this is a fantastic solution because of the low cost, low volume nature. For other situations, it may make sense to look into a multiple units or a high efficiency tank water heater that can reduce the amount of energy you use while ensuring there is enough water ready at any time for your entire home.
Whatever decision you make, know that Pompeii’s Plumbing is here to help you get the hot water you and your family need. The Greater Cleveland, Ohio area has been coming to us for years for tankless hot water installation, maintenance and repair. Whether you have an old system in need of a fix or you’re remodeling and want to make a big change, call us today to learn more about what tankless hot water can do for you.
Pompeiis, Family–Owned Since 1941
As a family–owned, full service, repair, replacement, remodel and installation plumbing contractor, Pompeii’s has been in business since 1941. For three generations, Pompeii’s has been an integral and respected part of the Cleveland area plumbing professional community. Since our incorporation we have provided our services to the residential and commercial markets.
Our highly experienced and qualified staff specializes in customer service. We offer personal service at the highest level. All service technicians are fully qualified and trained to repair your problems. All service trucks are fully stocked and radio dispatched for rapid response. Our large fleet of service vehicles offers you reliable, same day and 24 hour emergency call service in the Greater Cleveland area.