A customer recently called us because both of the toilets in her home were acting up. She said one was not flushing properly, and the other one was constantly running. These are just two problems you could experience with your toilet, and so you are fully prepared for any others, we are here today to provide you with the list of the most common toilet troubles and possible ways to fix them.
Common Toilet Problems in Avon
- Toilet tank fills on its own: This is usually because of a poorly fitted or leaking flapper and/or a refill tube that’s too long. A worn flapper will cause water to slowly drain from the tank into the toilet bowl. After a while, the water level will drop enough to kick the fill valve on. To fix this, you can get a new fill valve, as they come with a special clip that holds the tip of the water line up and ensures that water will stay in the tank.
- More than one flush: This would happen when the water level in the tank is too high. You can try adjusting the float management on the fill valve. Keep trying until the water is at the correct level.
- Doesn’t flush all the way: When your flapper gets waterlogged or the flush handle gets too tight, you could experience a toilet that just doesn’t want to flush properly. The water level in the tank might also be too low. Try to modify the fill valve so the extra water can easily enter the tank.
- Whistling noises: If you are hearing this sound as the toilet tank fills, you probably have an old fashioned ball and cock fill valve with a float ball on an arm. The remedy for this problem is to get a new fill valve because they will stay open all the way until the entire tank is filled.
- Shaking toilet: This is a problem you should fix immediately, before it leads to a leak or worse. The grout between the toilet and the ground has to be replaced.
- Water leaks at the base of the toilet: This repair is definitely not a do-it-yourself project. You will have to change the wax gasket between the toilet and the drain pipe flange.
Are you having a different problem? No worries! Pompeii’s Plumbing & Heating is here to help. Call us today!