Some of the worst plumbing disasters to watch for and prevent are broken pipes, frozen pipes, backed up toilets, clogged drains, and sump pump failure. Wherever possible it is important to prevent these plumbing disasters from ever occurring.
Broken Pipes can happen at any time. Having a water line that breaks can be caused by a pipe under a house being frozen during a cold night in winter that then cracked and started to leak, or even a pipe clog that resulted in water pressure building up.. At the first sign of a broken pipe it is imperative to turn off the water supply either to that section of the building or to the whole building, whichever is quicker.
- Avoid Broken Pipes by having your plumbing system maintained and inspected professionally by a Cleveland plumber every year so that deterioration and clogs can be identified and dealt with early on.
Frozen Pipes tend to happen when it’s cold outside. As the air around a pipe gets cold enough the pipe will freeze and expand and either during the freezing process or when it defrosts, the pipe can break. A frozen pipe that has broken will ultimately lead to water leaking out of the pipe and causing water damage.
- Avoid Frozen Pipes by running warm water through pipes on the coldest days and keeping your home warm to prevent freezing.
Clogged Drains that are not noticed or are not tended to can not only cause issues for the single drain, but can affect other parts of the plumbing system as well.
- Avoid Clogged Drains by not placing anything down the drain that shouldn’t be there, use drain screens throughout your building, and regularly remove leaves and garden waste from outdoor drains.
Backed Up Toilets can easily sometimes turn into overflow situations where waste water floods the floor and permanent fixtures in a bathroom. A backed up toilet can be caused by non-degradable items being put down the toilet drain.
- Avoid Backed Up Toilets by ensuring that nothing unusual is placed in the toilet, and have a plunger handy for those small blockages which are easily fixed.
Sump Pump Failure can be a disaster, causing flooding of a basement
- Avoid Sump Pump Failure by performing your own frequent checks of the sump pump, as well as having a professional sump pump maintenance performed prior to the rainy season. Pay attention to signs that your sump pump is wearing out, and make certain that your sump pump is the right size for your water removal needs.